Friday, January 14, 2011

Con Tep

A lot has proceeded since my last post on this thing.  I have been so busy I really don't know where to start, just writing this seems like an "epic" hill, for all you fratters.

First things first, I have successfully arrived in Thailand!  The activities have been non-stop since I have arrived which is most definitely positive; no time to think, just do.  I am in a hotel in the Ayuttaya province in Thailand.  Ayuttaya used to be the capital of the country prior to Bankok so it is fairly developed but still has it's fair share of poverty.  We received bikes two days ago and have been "bike training" ever since.

During a bike training session yesterday we had the opportunity to explore the village on a 18 km bike ride.  In the middle of the ride we stumbled upon a crane holding a human being over a creek who was attempting to throw electrical wire across the creek, the electrical wire was attached to a large ceramic spool.  I found this simple method very refreshing, they found it to be ineffective.  Here the electrical company is, on a dirt road, trying to throw a spool over a creek to supply power. I think they would have tried for hours, I mean they already had brought out the crane!  To make a long story short I offered my services in the form of my right arm (lets just say that Thai people seem to be more interested in sports that involve feet moreover any others so their form was a little off).  I grabbed the spool and successfully threw it across the canal, in turn supplying the village with power.  This will be my job for the next two years; only kidding.

I digress.  I am still very excited to be here, language lessons are intense but great fun and I will be meeting and heading to my first host family's home tomorrow (both anxious and nervous).  I hear they will make me eat a lot and I won't have anything to say to them which means conversation and laughter will be at my expense.  Squat toilets are working out great, will have one installed as soon as I get home!

I know this is not very detailed and probably not a very interesting blog post but I would love to talk to all of you individually when you, or i, get a chance.  Keep the emails coming!  I have a cell phone but I don't know how to put minutes on it and I have no idea what the number is.  I will keep you updated on that situation.  I am not sure the next time I will have internet access is but I will be in touch.  Much love and take care!

P.S. Ben Rector is the man!
P.P.S.  Pom Con Tep = My butt hurts (Fries family that is from biking, not other)

3 comments: